As a strategic leader across a number of agencies, Dax Callner has over 20 years of experience developing marketing programs for some of the world’s leading brands, including P&G, American Express, Facebook, GE, eBay, MasterCard, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Pitney Bowes, Motorola, Dell, Kraft, General Mills and many others. His work has included the development of multi-channel marketing campaigns, digital strategies, street-marketing initiatives, business and consumer events.
Dax is also a musician who regularly performs with his original rock band, Super Jelly.
- How long have you worked in the events industry and what keeps you interested in it?
21 years (phew!). The industry is constantly evolving, now more than ever, which keeps things everything. Plus there’s nothing like the energy of “live” for that adrenalin high.
- Best (and worst?) moments working in the events industry?
Best is when an audience is really into something you’ve created – super gratifying. The worst are those technical problems that may last seconds but feel like a fucking eternity.
- What was the last event on which you worked?
I worked with IMEX on a BuzzHub virtual event that had a bunch of activities yesterday – 13-May.
- From your experience, what’s the best way to utilise tech at an event?
The best way to use technology is to enhance content or human interaction. There’s no one answer to this, but technology is a tool to support what is most important at events, connecting to content and connecting to people.
- We all learn from our mistakes! What was the biggest lesson you learned from a mistake since being in the industry?
If you are worried about an event technology working…you should be. Make sure what you are using really works and if not make sure you’ve got loads of back up plans in place. Come to think of it, have back up plans in place regardless.
- What are you most looking forward to at Event Tech Live?
Reconnecting with colleagues, seeing cool stuff
- What do events, such as ETL, mean to you?
Industry events like this are about learning, seeing new things, talking shop.
- What can our delegates expect to take away from your session at ETL?
The event industry is finally getting serious about measurement
- Which one piece of tech couldn’t you live without?
None. I could live without any of them. Now…do I want to?!?
- Most pointless tech you have purchased?
I splurged on a Playstation…I guess we’re kids forever
Join Dax for his session: Size matters? at ETL US & Canada
on June 10th on the Main Stage – Book your ticket here